Over the previous 7 months, I’ve been doing a weekly problem on a new blog called ‘Find Your Spark’.
My objective with it's to put in writing a brand new ‘immediate’ weblog submit each week for 52 weeks on the subject of serving to individuals ‘discover their spark’ (and to assist me discover mine too).
On this submit, I assumed I’d share a few of what I’ve realized (and relearned) via doing this problem.
1. I’ve cherished beginning one thing new
Whereas I really like ProBlogger and Digital Pictures College (my primary blogs), it’s been refreshing to get again to writing one thing I’m obsessed with.
2. Having a ‘problem’
Committing publicly to put in writing a weekly submit for a 12 months) has been very motivating for me and has helped me keep on job.
3. I’ve actually loved utilizing the Ghost running a blog platform
Whereas I normally encourage new bloggers to start out their weblog on a platform that they management and Ghost is a hosted service – there’s additionally one thing fairly releasing about not having to work out the tech challenges when beginning one thing new. I don’t suppose I’d have began this venture if I needed to do it by myself server, with my very own design, and so on. I made a decision after I began that I'd not spend a lot time ‘tweaking’ design or options and make investments 99% of my time into creating content material. I feel this has paid off massive time.
- Ghost not solely supplies you with a running a blog platform however a e-newsletter. Being able to hit publish and know that the brand new submit mechanically additionally goes out through electronic mail in a e-newsletter is fairly cool.
- Whereas I’m not monetising what I do, you can even have paid membership tiers to supply premium content material to paid subscribers, which is fairly cool.
- Whereas Ghost is new(ish), it's nice to see that they’re persevering with to develop the platform. In the previous couple of months, they’ve added new options, together with feedback, new stats/insights, viewers suggestions and so on.
4. I’ve cherished the method of researching, gathering concepts and creating content material once more
I’ve tried various forms of types of content material during the last 29 weeks (completely different lengths, curating some content material, utilizing quotes and so on) and have cherished the tempo of 1 considerate submit every week. I’ve in all probability gone longer/deeper into the content material than I had anticipated after I began the problem, however I've actually loved the long-form strategy
I’ve taken the strategy with this weblog of reporting what I’m studying somewhat than making an attempt to return throughout as an knowledgeable. This voice has served me properly previously, however notably with the subjects I’m overlaying (which I suppose border on private improvement), I feel it’s been vital.
5. Ranging from scratch is difficult!
I had forgotten how laborious it's to speculate a lot time and power into creating content material solely to listen to a powerful silence after you hit publish. Ranging from scratch with constructing an viewers after which getting engagement from that viewers is difficult!
Whereas I’m writing primarily for my very own improvement, I feel I’d maybe taken with no consideration the great group I’ve grown over time on my different blogs.
I think that with my strategy of investing all of my efforts into writing, I’ve fallen brief in selling the content material as a lot as I've with earlier blogs within the early years. I feel I must tweak this strategy.
6. I’m glad I brainstormed subjects earlier than I began the problem
Earlier than I began, I used thoughts map software program to create 52 subjects that I may write on over the 12 months. I’ve since provide you with different concepts and discarded among the unique ones, nevertheless it has been very helpful to have that financial institution of concepts to attract on when I've had weeks the place I’ve not felt as impressed to put in writing, or lately after I travelled with the household for a couple of weeks. Right here’s a podcast episode I recorded about using mind maps in your blogging.
All in all, the problem has been a really rewarding course of for me thus far. I’m studying tons about running a blog and the subjects I’ve written about.
For those who do need to begin a weblog, I'd suggest signing up for my FREE Ultimate Guide to Starting a Blog Course.